What is Internal Cloud?
An internal cloud or private cloud is a specific type of cloud computing that involves a separate and secure cloud based environment for exclusive use of a specified client. Private clouds provide computing power as a service within a virtualized environment by using a cluster of physical computing resource which is only accessible by a single organization. A private cloud offers greater privacy as well as control. In contrast‚ an internal cloud has multiple clients accessing virtualized services drawing the resource they need from the same pool of servers across public networks.
An organization builds an internal cloud by utilizing the cloud computing service model and delivery framework. The private cloud then delivers computing, storage and software services to each node within the organization.
Internal cloud provides users the following key benefits:
• Gives you absolute control over security
• Cost of infrastructure is reduced
• Hardware needs are minimized
• Offers improved reliability
• Is both cost and energy efficient
An internal cloud is dedicated to only one user or organization and hence all it resources too are available to that user only. The single user will have the ability to configure the resources and manage it to match their unique needs. They can get a custom network solution that can provide them the desired results.
Internal cloud model can ensure better allocation of resources within an organization. This is done by making sure that resources are made available to individual departments according to their needs and demands. The flexibility that the internal cloud model brings to a business makes it cost effective as resources are not wasted and used highly efficiently. It is also possible to integrate private clouds with public cloud services to form hybrid clouds. Non-sensitive functions can be allocated to public cloud to maximize efficiency and performance.
Internal cloud vs external cloud
What is internal cloud storage?
A cloud storage platform that adheres to all the specialized compliances related to legal or regulations and at the same time lies on-premise then such cloud storage is termed as an internal private cloud.
There is a big misconception that internal cloud computing costs less than an external cloud platform. It may be true initially but the internal private cloud mostly leads to heavy expenditures in the long run. Thus costing cannot be the sole reason for selecting the internal cloud software.
The costs put into infrastructure are worth it when you want to make sure that all you’re all the peak demands on your website are met on time.
The additional charges involved in the implementation of the internal cloud platform is completely justified by the swiftness with which your business requirements will be then be met. Every organization has full right to protect its proprietary information and an internal cloud platform is best at concealing your trade secrets. For all of this internal cloud is preferred when it comes to internal cloud vs external cloud.
Which one is the right choice for you?
Choosing between internal cloud computing and public cloud is a tough one. This is because both of them come up with their own set of pros and cons. But some tradeoffs will make you come up with the right decision. Like internal cloud is good at tracking and following up on the workflow along with the security but the scale up to which the public cloud providers reach economically is unmatchable. Here are some more factors that need to be considered while choosing the right cloud service-
– If you do not want to engage in a lot of work, then an internal private cloud is the right choice. With public cloud computing, you will be needing a thorough study of license management and take out some extra time to get adapt to various processes.
– With the public cloud, you get the benefit of scaling up economically as it costs way lesser than internal cloud storage. As now you will be left with a lot of costs as spare, you can use it further in growing your business.
– An internal cloud is going to make you save at times where you are paying unnecessarily. Like your server will be shut down during non-peak times or times like weekends which will save a lot of power and the costs indirectly. This happens to make internal cloud services good at the ROI part. So if you want to save on some of the costs in the long run, then internal cloud is the right choice.
– A public cloud computing service does not manage your resources the way an internal cloud does. Internal cloud computing shuts down the unneeded resources so that they can be reallocated to applications in need in the future.
– You can also choose a hybrid cloud approach that uses the best capabilities of both the internal cloud storage and public cloud. The data that is more sensitive to the organization can be stored in the internal cloud leaving out the rest over the public cloud space. This means that you can enjoy the security of the internal cloud and the cost-saving feature of the public cloud simultaneously. This will save the extra expenditures and will provide a lot of room to scale up your business.