Linking a domain name is one of the most common tasks when a new Virtual private Server is set. The process remains almost same with shared server platforms also. A VPS has the inconvenience of not being available with a name server and this inconvenience has to be overridden with immediate action of pointing the domain to the VPS server.
Requirements for a domain to be pointed to a VPS
The following are a must to be completed before pointing a domain to a VPS:
1. The Domain name must be registered in .com, .in, .net etc.
2. The default name server and the domain name server, (DNS), of the registrar must be used with default settings.
3. The VPS or other server’s IP address must be obtained.
The process of pointing a domain to a VPS
The process to point a domain is by following the steps methodically.
1. At first, one needs to log in to the domain registrar company, such as, Go Daddy, Namecheap etc.
2. One needs to identify the location the section for adding or modifying Domain Name Server Zones, with the help of Records or Zones.
3. Then one must select a domain if not already selected and proceed to “Add a new DNS record”.
4. An Address Record is to be added next by filling in the required fields.
5. The information needed to be filled is Sub domain, Record/Host 22.214.171.124, that is the server’s IP address.
6. It is better to add www CNAME record for sub domain, pointing to the original domain.
7. After completion of the process, the settings are to be saved.
8. One can exit from the process as the domain has been pointed to the VPS.
Beginner’s guide to Virtual Private Server Management
A virtual private server is actually a virtual machine that finds its habitat on a server along with other virtual machines. So when someone looks out for server options, there are so many factors pop....