A dedicated server refers to a physical machine which is solely or completely dedicated to a client to cater to its requirements. A VPS (Virtual Private Server) imitates a dedicated server and provides a complete root access to the user. A dedicated server is sliced into multiple virtual private servers using virtualization technology. A virtual server is capable of running its own copy of operating system. It makes the best use of resources and enables a business to maximize its investment in the hardware.
Following steps needs to be followed to make a VPS out of a dedicated server:
Check if your physical server is capable of meeting the hardware requirements of the hypervisor. A hypervisor is an operating system, which manages virtual servers and requires explicit hardware to install.
Save your data or appliance configuration, running on the current physical server.
Install the hypervisor by inserting the disc in the reader.
Boot the hypervisor console and refer to the user manual for creating VM (Virtual Machine). You can customize and scale-up/down the RAM, CPU power, storage, and memory to meet your business requirement.
Install OS by using an image of the disk stored on a hard disc drive. Next configure and install the appliance.
Repeat the entire process for all the appliances required to be installed in the virtual server.
Following tips can prove to be important while replicating the above process:
– Hypervisors may be available as an open source or as a proprietary version
– Some hypervisors allow to scale-up or down memory and CPU power
– If you are converting multiple identical dedicated server to VPS server, you can transfer Virtual Machine from one server to another, without any service interruptions.
– You can easily convert a dedicated server to a virtual server by using VMware convert or XenConvert
Wondering what benefits can a VPS server bring once converted from a dedicated server? Once you create a VPS on a dedicated server, benefits start to run instantly. But you might think that it’s a lot of work to make VPS from a dedicated server. Then let me ensure you that the long term benefits are outstanding and the process is not that hectic. Here are some benefits that make it worth-
– Speedy machine creation
– Growing and expanding becomes easy
– Lower cost
– Easy backup through snapshotting
– Some additional features
– Freedom with the type of software
– Completely managed service
– Satisfactory technical support
Hence, follow the above-given steps to setup VPS on a dedicated server and enjoy all these benefits.
So now with how to create VPS on a dedicated server, you got the answer for the need to switch to a VPS server.
If you have been looking for how to create VPS on dedicated server then these above mentioned steps are the best to follow.
So why to wait!