Small businesses find it hard to cope with the larger corporations in this technology-driven world. This is because to run most of the new applications, the demands for bandwidth, memory and processing power are very high. In short, businesses will need to rent dedicated servers to be able to operate such applications seamlessly. But the costs of maintaining such apps are steep and small and medium sized businesses are constantly struggling to make ends meet. Even if the enterprises are small in size, the operating costs are quite high and it has become necessary to look for an alternative to the costly dedicated hosting plans. This is where VPS hosting comes in. For instance, the Windows virtual private servers are highly cost-effective and perfectly suited for small businesses which want to use these apps.
How does virtual private server hosting work?
In VPS hosting, there will be a physical server that is compartmentalized. Multiple virtual servers are created as a result, each functioning independent of the other. Each can run its operating system and users have root access to servers. So, in other words, many types of operating systems can run on a single server.
When you have shared hosting, you need to share the server resources with neighboring sites which are also sharing the same server space. This is why resources are often used up by some sites more than the others, causing these sites to slow down. But in VPS hosting, there is no such risk involved because every server is allotted a definite amount of resources to enable it to function independently.
How can the VPS help your business to lower its operating costs?
- Since the virtual servers will take up only a part of the main server, it turns out to be a far more cost-effective option than dedicated hosting. You do not need to maintain multiple physical servers to provide resources to multiple users. So, small and medium sized businesses and start-ups can consider choosing VPS hosting plans.
- Another major benefit of using VPS is that every such virtual server is completely isolated from the others. So, even if something goes wrong within any of the other sites, it will not affect your site. However, in shared hosting, if one site experiences malicious software or is affected by some hardware malfunction, the other neighboring sites are automatically affected.
- Because every server is kept separate in a virtual private server hosting environment, each will own its individual CPU and RAM. So, the capacity of the server your business owns will definitely not be affected by the traffic which goes to the others. Your server will continue to function smoothly, regardless of the functioning and operations of other servers.
- When you choose virtual servers, you can also enjoy a higher degree of data security. Other sites will never be able to access your files and data. You can also install custom security arrangements to suit your needs because users have root access to these private servers.
- Choosing VPS for your business helps you to enjoy high cost-savings and a high degree of flexibility and freedom. You can install custom applications and software, scripting languages of your choice like Apache or PHP. So, you are free to use the server to satisfy your interests.
- When you run a business, one of the main costs involved is in handling the large volumes of spam mails that enter the inboxes every day. However, with VPS hosting, this problem is resolved because you can set up your own email configurations to keep malicious emails and spam mails away.
- Besides, your web host will also offer you round-the-clock supports through emails, phone calls and live chats to resolve every technical problem you encounter.
These are some of the biggest advantages of using the VPS for running a small business. While most of the features of VPS hosting area advantageous, there are also some petty drawbacks. However, if you compare these two, you will understand that the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. But, you need to ensure that you have selected a good web hosting provider. You will not want your host to assign the same IP address to many clients. This can trigger many problems and must be prevented. The reason being, that any malicious sit sharing the same IP address with you can get your site blacklisted. You will therefore end up losing your credibility in the market and your rankings in search engines will drop dramatically.
So, business owners must carefully review the pros and cons of different hosting solutions before they choose any. Switching to a VPS hosting plan is advantageous for them because of the nominal costs involved and the multiple advantages gained.