What is Control Panel?
Control panel refers to the Windows graphical user interface that lets users view and use the system settings through applets, allowing them to add hardware and software, delete software, control user accounts and edit accessibility options.
So, in a nutshell, it is essentially a software module designed for carrying out management and administrative tasks and to offer access to some software features.
What is a control panel used for?
It is used to carry out essential functions on your website through a graphical user interface.
The control panel has been made to configure and administer the different aspects of Windows such as the functions of the mouse and keyboard, setting passwords and power options, desktop backgrounds, display settings and audio settings, software and hardware options, setting up and deleting programs, speech recognition, parental controls etc.
How does the control panel work?
The panel comprises multiple individual components or applets. So, using the control panel is more like using individual utilities to modify ways in which certain functions of Windows are carried out. The panel is therefore essentially a part of your hosting service but also comes bundled with the operating systems. You will find examples of hardware control panels in keyboards and mouse, display etc. and software control panels such as Date and Time, Fonts, Power Options, Administrative Tools etc.
Each tool and utility has its own code running in the background. While most control panels are part of the Windows operating system, others may be set up using third party applications. When you install a new mouse for instance in the computer, it may carry with it a CD to set up control panels specific to that mouse. There are graphic cards too which may install additional controls for giving users more control over the machine’s visual settings. No matter where the control panel is set up, you will find them located in the Control Panel folder.
Control Panel in a computer
If you have a Windows desktop, the control panel is a part of the OS. You can undertake critical admin-level functions with proper access to the system. The dashboard appears as shown below on a Windows 10 computer.
What benefits can you enjoy with a control panel?
• When you have a control panel, you do not need software that may unnecessarily clutter your computer. The cPanel for example will let you access a website from anywhere in the world using a browser. You can then upload and download system files depending on your needs. It is fast and efficient and most importantly, space-saving.
• Compared to traditional terminals, the control panel is preferable because of the statistical tools it offers. These will help you stay informed about those who access your website, their locations and the duration for which your site is being accessed.
• It is easy to install software with a control panel. You can therefore add, delete and edit web applications seamlessly. For instance, you can easily add forums and shopping carts, image galleries and billing software and even CMS like WordPress.
Factors to consider while choosing a control panel
You may not be able to choose a control dashboard on your computer. Most computers have their own control dashboards and are irreplaceable. However, on a hosting platform, you do have a plethora of choices.
Once you have got a satisfactory explanation of what is the control panel, then you would worry about the factors to worry about while choosing the one for your website. Let’s review those factors that contribute to the features of the control panel so that you get to have the best use of a control panel-– Costing- Costing is one of the major factors, so never opt for a control panel without reviewing your budget.
– UI- UI or User Interface is appealing for the visitors to your website. So the UI of your control panel must be user-friendly and easy to understand on the first counter.
– Overall features- What is the work of a control panel depends a lot on the overall features it holds. The features available on the control panel is the answer to explain the control panel.– Support- The choice of your control panel very much depends on the quality of its community support.
– Available documentation- The documentation available with your control panel must be very understandable and should cover each of the features and specifications of your control panel.
– Updates- The use of a control panel is only justified if it keeps on updating frequently.
– The OS- Not all control panels are suitable for all kinds of operating systems. Hence, check for the most appropriate control panel as per your operating system.