How to set up a virtual private network with windows
VPN stands for Virtual Private Network and is a technology that joins the private network using a public internet connection. Most importantly, VPN plays a pivotal role in allowing users to access their data and files anywhere in the world. All you need to do is connect your virtual private network with windows and you are good to go.
No matter what part of the world you are in, you can access the files anytime and from any place you like. Moreover, it makes the data secure so that you do not have to worry about your data’s safety.
There are two ways using which you can easily set up your VPN in windows:
- Create a server- Set up one server for the purpose of sharing files.
- Create a client- Use another computer and set it up to access the files.
Set up a server
- Open your web browser.
- Now go to the website.
- Write down the IP address as you will have to use it to configure the client.
- Go to the start button and click on the Run option.
- Type control in the box and click on the OK button.
- In the control panel, take the cursor to the network and Internet connections and hit enter.
- Click on Network Connections.
- Check the left toolbar and click on Create a new connection.
- Once the new connection wizard shows up, click next.
- Select the last option on the list- Set up an advanced connection.
- Click on accept incoming connections and hit next.
- The devices for incoming connections will reflect on the screen. Click next.
- Click on a virtual private connection. Move to the next.
- Click on who you wish to give access to. Hit next.
- No changes are required on the networking software screen. Hit next.
- That’s all. The setup process is complete.
Select Add a shortcut to this connection to my desktop and click Finish.
Set up a client
Go to the start button and hit run.
Type control in the box and click on OK. The control panel will pop up.
Click on the Internet and Network Connections.
Select network connections.
Select- Create a new connection- the first choice on the left toolbar.
The new connection wizard will pop up. Hit next.
Select the second option- Connect to the network at my workplace.
Click on Virtual Private Network Connection and hit next.
Fill in the name of the network in the box. Click on next.
Now fill in the IP address you noted earlier. Hit next.
Tick the check box and click on finish.
That’s all. You set up is complete.