Businesses who want to reach the wider audience, need domain. However, most of the times it has been seen that they are not sure about the domain name extension they should go for. They generally ask experts about which extension to buy. The clients also ask experts about their views on choice of domain extension that they should go for in their particular situation. When replying to such queries, the experts generally want to know the purpose of their clients to go online. This information is important for the expert to provide precise answer to the query. Two examples will help you understand why the purpose of going online matters while choosing an extension.
Example 1 – In case, you are the owner or manager of a media company. In that case, the best and most suitable extension for your domain name will be .media.
Example 2 – Suppose, you run a non-profit organization. In that case, you should choose an extension .org (dot org).
This article will not go in details about the different domain extensions and related matters to it. However, here we will discuss in more details about two most controversial domain extensions - .com and .com.ng.
There are some terminologies that we may come across while dealing with the issue. To make it easier for you to understand, here some of those terminologies are explained in details –
ccTLD stands for “country code top level domain”. It is the top level of domain name used on internet. These domains are especially reserved for sovereign states, a country, a dependent territory, or others. A few examples of ccTLD are –
- .ng – This extension is used for Nigeria
- .in - This extension is used for India
- .ca - This extension is used for Canada, and many more
TLD stands for Top Level Domain. In the internet’s hierarchical Domain Name System, TLD is known as the highest level domain. In the name space’s root zone, these domain names are installed. Therefore, TLD is a part of the domain name, located at the end of it. In a domain name that is fully qualified, TLD is the last label. Some of the most common Top Level Domain examples include extensions such as .com, .org, .net, or others.
SLD stands for Second Level Domain. In the hierarchy of Domain Name System (DNS), SLD domain is located just below the TLD (Top Level Domain).
Full form of ICANN is Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers. It is basically a non-profit organization. Its main responsibility is to maintain proper coordination among multiple databases of unique identifiers. ICANN also has to coordinate between databases of unique identifiers. These unique identifiers have relation to the internet namespaces. In fact, Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers ensure stability as well as security of a network’s operations.
NiRA stands for Nigeria Internet Registration Association. It is an organization that has the main objective of managing dot ng (which is the ccTLD or country code Top Level Domain Name of Nigeria).
SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization. It is the process of optimizing a website so that the site gets higher rank on the search engine such as Google’s unpaid search results. There are multiple factors of a search engine that are needed to be optimized for getting higher unpaid placement on a search engine. The unpaid search results are also called organic results.
There are mainly two factors – on-page and off-page. The changes done within the website for matching the factors of search engine to get higher SERP (Search Engine Results Page) placement is known as on-page SEO. When the SEO works are done outside the website such as Link Building, they are called off-page SEO. A SEO optimizer or manager has to improve both these factors to get a favorable higher ranking on SERP of a search engine.
Now, that we know the basic information about domains, extensions and other related aspects, it’ll now be easier to understand the concepts of .com and .com.ng.
Also Read: How are Web Hosting and SEO Related?
In the internet’s Domain Name System (DNS), .com is considered as a TLD or a top level domain. This TLD is originally meant for the commercial companies. However, this purpose was diluted when the domain registration sites started offering extensions including .org, .com, and .net for registration in an unrestricted manner.
.com is the first domain extension when the implementation of Domain Name System was first done. DNS (or Domain Name System) was first implemented in the year 1985. Registration of .com can be done only with the help of registrars that are accredited by ICAAN.
As you now know the meanings of SLD and CCTLD, it’s important for you know the difference of the .com.ng domain extension with that of .com.
.com.ng is essentially a SLD (Second Level Domain) under the ccTLD Nigeria. The original purpose of this SLD is absolutely same as the .com domain. The commercial organizations can use this SLD for its purpose of reaching out to its customers with the help of a domain name ending with .com.ng SLD.
The below mentioned facts can be summarized from the analysis mentioned above –
- Name Availability - .com domain is there for use since 1985, the time when it was made available to the general populace. Therefore, many people have already booked several common names for their use. Therefore, it is always not possible to get the preferred name with the .com extension. However, .com.ng extension is not that old and therefore the probability of getting a preferred domain name with the .com.ng extension is more than that of .com.
- Web Users are Ignorant about Other Extensions – It has been found out that most online users presume that .com is the only extension available with web addresses. In fact, this is one of the most popular reasons why most people send mails to wrong email ids. However, this phenomenon also confirms the fact that .com is the most popular extension across the world.
- Nigeria Specific Approach – Credibility of a website increases .com.ng extensions are used in Nigeria. It has been seen that in Nigeria .com.ng has more probability of ranking higher than that of other extensions. As .com.ng is Nigeria specific in nature, it’ll be difficult for it to rank higher than domain.uk in United Kingdom. It must also be pointed out the fact that privacy protection feature is not provided on .ng domains by NIRA.
These are some of the most important comparisons between .com and .com.ng.